I’ve been ripping a lot of DVDs lately both for my media library and for current and eventual remix projects. I thought I’d share my settings for ripping high quality footage from DVDs for use in remixing since it took some time to figure out and I didn’t find any screenshots already on the web.
I used Handbrake for this process instead of Mac The Ripper. Handbrake is free and if you don’t have the most up to date software on your computer, you might want to try downloading an older version of the software.
- Download and install Handbrake
- Insert DVD into drive
- Select ‘Source’ + then your DVD
- Click Apple TV in the right side present window
- Move quality slider to 62%
- Uncheck “large file size” (I don’t have this feature on my older version but do on a newer version, FYI)
The process takes some time and requires a degree of babysitting. In the end, however, you’ll have beautiful looking, DVD quality MP4 files.